Friday 17 September 2010

Keep on Movin'

Moving is difficult.

5am Saturday, my mum shakes me awake. Turns out my plan to stay awake all night failed, I’d passed out around 4am whilst watching Charlie’s Angels. As a result, I was grumpy and lethargic, but I managed to pile the rest of my belongings into the back of the van and pour myself into my seat. I was planning on taking a nap on the 5 hour drive up, but there was a spider on the windscreen pretty much right in front of my face, so I spent the whole time keeping one eye on it in case it moved. It did. I screamed.

We eventually reached Manchester, where I picked up my keys and began dragging my stuff in. I’m the first one here as Nyck doesn’t move in until Monday, so I got to choose where everything goes and how best to decorate. The flat is actually bigger than I remembered, and had been suitably tidied and fixed up, although the toilet didn’t flush at first so we had to call the maintenance guy. He was over pretty fast, and used a blowtorch to fix it. This was epic.

Sunday was more relaxed, although when I went to make my breakfast the cooker blew up. Go figure. Same maintenance guy came to fix it, and couldn’t, so I’ve been living off of microwave meals. They promised to fix it Monday, they didn't. I told Nyck to call them on Wednesday, he didn't. They came over yesterday, and simply disconnected the hobs (which were the broken part) so we were able to use the oven at least. Why didn't they do that Sunday?! Hobs won't be fixed until Monday, when we will be getting a brand new set. Hooray! And I'm glad I can use the oven now, even if it did take a while to figure out that the oven timer has to be on before the oven will heat anything. Stupid useless feature.

Despite teething problems, It's been fun being back. A few friends came to join me on Monday, we had chinese food and got drunk and stayed up until about 5am. The same few friends (with the absence of Manny) came over on Tuesday, when we invented our own Jurassic Park drinking game, and then decided to play drink-cheat (you know, the card game. with drinking). Then Michael taught us a card game where he wasn't allowed to tell us the rules. I picked it up really quickly, nobody else did. Hilarity ensued.

Anyway, I'm all settled in now, and Richard is coming up to visit me tonight. Until then, however, I am confined to the library, writing essays that didn't quite make it in with last year's batch of work.

Pictures, taken on a rubbishy phone camera:

Lounge.World's comfiest sofas.

Bookshelf. And toad.

Kitchen, with still-broken hobs.

Fridge, complete with lolcat fridge magnets.

Part of the kitchen window ledge. Some of my most prized kitchen posessions.

Bathroom.

Bedroom.

And again.

No comments:

Post a Comment